Quake III: Arena, baseq3 source commentary
Baseq3 source commentary
Project start 2002, Aug 11.
This is a project that I had thought of starting for many months.
My many struggles with my own Q3 mod had me frequently wishing for some plain-language description of the workings of Q3A.
Already I had written a document describing a large part of the Q3TA menu system, while trying to create custom HUDs for the Q3 mod Weapons Factory Arena.
In some ways, starting on a commentary of the Q3A mod source (baseq3) while working on my own mod seems fitting.
- outline1.html - Outline of an execution trace of a q3 mod (baseq3), server-side.
Not very complete, but may prove to be a source of useful bits for new modders.
- immutable1.html - Description and commentary on the various structs in q_shared.h that cannot be reasonably altered.
- maingame1.html - The main game structures in the server-side.
- outline2.html - Outline of an execution trace of a q3 mod (baseq3), client-side.
- q3vm_specs.html - Specifications of the Q3VM.
Planned for future:
- Description of BG (Both Games) structs (bg_*.h)
- Description of spawn functions (g_spawn.c)
- Description of think functions (g_mover.c in particular)