Server From Scratch
Server From Scratch is a tutorial which provides a hands-on experience with deploying internet services starting from bare metal. Attendees will have a chance to interact with server hardware and configure all the software and system services needed for deploying websites, storage nodes, and more.
- highlight differences between server hardware and desktop hardware
- demonstrate different hardware configurations
- install Debian Wheezy with mdraid
- overview of filesystem hierarchy
- learn simple Apache configuration
- create simple "home page"
- install MariaDB from external repository
- install some database-driven web applications
- set up a Tahoe-LAFS network across all the computers on the network
We will set up 5 dell workstations (with 5 sets of monitors and keyboards). If there are more than 5 attendees, then they should form groups. Each workstation will have two hard drives.