Server From Scratch
Next Server From Scratch: 2014-05-03, 12:00-17:00 in BH 4760
Server From Scratch is a tutorial which provides a hands-on experience with deploying a web service starting from bare metal. Attendees will have a chance to interact with server hardware and configure all the software and system services needed for deploying a web application.
- highlight differences between server hardware and desktop hardware
- demonstrate different hardware configurations
- install Debian Wheezy
- overview of the filesystem hierarchy
- learn simple nginx configuration
- simple cgi script as "home page"
- install some other application, like mediawiki
- install MariaDB from external repository
- connect it to database
- Set up 5 dell workstations (with 5 sets of monitors and keyboards)
- install two IDE drives in each workstation (10 drives total)