Server From Scratch
Note: This page is for planning a "Server From Scratch" tutorial hosted by LUG@UCLA.
Server From Scratch is a 3 part series of tutorials designed to provide a very hands-on experience with deploying a web service from scratch. Attendees will have a chance to interact with server hardware, and configure all the software and services needed to deploy a web application. Each session will take no more than 2 hours, and they will occur once a week for three weeks.
Day 1: Hardware
- highlight differences between server hardware and desktop hardware
- demonstrate different hardware configurations
- install distribution
Day 2: Basic Configuration
- Overview of the filesystem hierarchy
- install MariaDB from external repository
Day 3: Deploying Services
- simple cgi script as "home page"
- install some other application, like mediawiki
- connect to database
- configure apache to serve full website