Moving off Google Apps
LUG@UCLA plans to move all mail services (including lists) off Google apps. This is a long term project, but the ETA is before Summer 2014.
KISS. Try to use the least amount of components, and don't overcomplicate the configuration. For example, don't use Maildrop if Dovecot already has an MDA/LDA. Don't use the high-performance sdbox format if Maildir is well supported and tested.
- MTA: Postfix
- MDA/LDA: Dovecot LDA
- MSS: Dovecot
- MUA: Roundcube
- lists: Mailman
- storage format: Maildir
- storage redundancy: Tahoe-LAFS
- storage backup: duplicity to NFS share, duplicity to VTLUUG, etc.
- POP3 over SSL: 995 tcp/udp
- IMAP over SSL: 993 tcp/udp
Use the traditional Maildir format for storing mail. Make the MDA/LDA store it under the Tahoe-LAFS $BASEDIR directory so it can be accessed from multiple different MSSs and MUAs.
Occasionally copy the Maildir directory out of the Tahoe-LAFS share since we don't actually trust Tahoe-LAFS. We respect people's privacy, so don't just rsync it out to a 3rd party. Easiest solution would be to use Duplicity to automatically perform encrypted, incremental backups to the 3rd party.
- How to migrate emails from Google Groups to Maildir readable by Mailman?
- fetch all mails using fetchmail, dump into Maildir.
- delete all my personal mails that got pulled in.
- How to migrate users of @linux.ucla.edu emails to the internal system (e.g. login access to POP3/IMAP/Roundcube)?
- make use of LDAP and Kerberos. they won't need to remember two passwords anymore
- look for a way to export a list of users from Google Apps.
- How to migrate subscribers to the GNU Mailman mailing list?
- export a CSV list of users from the Google Groups members page.
- grep/sed the list for the following information: Full Name, subscribed email,