Difference between revisions of "Moving off Google Apps"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
LUG@UCLA plans to move all mail services (including lists) off Google apps. This is a long term project, but the ETA is before
LUG@UCLA plans to move all mail services (including lists) off Google apps. This is a long term project, but the ETA is before 2014.
== Design ==
== Design ==
Revision as of 17:44, 9 December 2013
LUG@UCLA plans to move all mail services (including lists) off Google apps. This is a long term project, but the ETA is before Summer 2014.
KISS. Try to use the least amount of components, and don't overcomplicate the configuration. For example, don't use maildrop if Dovecot already has an MDA/LDA.
- MTA: Postfix
- MDA/LDA: Dovecot LDA
- MSS: Dovecot
- MUA: Roundcube
- lists: Mailman
- storage format: Maildir
- storage redundancy: Tahoe-LAFS
- storage backup: duplicity to NFS share, duplicity to VTLUUG, etc.
Use the traditional Maildir format for storing mail. Make the MDA/LDA store it under the Tahoe-LAFS $BASEDIR directory so it can be accessed from multiple different MSSs and MUAs.
Occasionally copy the Maildir directory out of the Tahoe-LAFS share since we don't actually trust Tahoe-LAFS. We respect people's privacy, so don't just rsync it out to a 3rd party. Easiest solution would be to use Duplicity to automatically perform encrypted, incremental backups to the 3rd party.
- How to migrate emails from Google Groups to Maildir readable by Mailman?
- How to migrate users of @linux.ucla.edu emails to the internal system (e.g. login access to POP3/IMAP/Roundcube)? Make use of LDAP?
- How to notify subscribers to the mailing list? Do they need to know?