From Wiki | LUG@UCLA
Revision as of 17:30, 12 November 2013 by 188.8.131.52
Note: today is 2017-07-24
Meetings are held at 18:00 in the Lounge.
- event announcements
- "come on in" - make a welcoming sign
- is Big Brother Tux too invasive?
- review LUG master plan to move away from Google services
- If possible, assign to somebody the task of buying things we need to buy
- decide thursday/friday tutoring
- still have four more personal "servers" to give away!
- self-organized talks statuses and ETAs
- spin up the offline servers
- Dr. Scott Friedman, chief technologist for UCLA's Institute for Digital Research and Education (IDRE), will talk about some opportunities for getting involved in current projects and upcoming super computing competitions. announcement on the uclalug-members mailing list
- what do we want to hear eggert talk about?
- History and involvement with the GNU project
- decide date/time for tutoring
- proposed friday from 13:00 to 15:00 (early afternoon preferred)
- structure our "server from scratch" series
- part 1: server hardware
- part 2: basic server configurations
- part 3: deploying services and databases
- gave away one of our p4 desktops to somebody that was interested in using it as a personal server
- realization that we actually really need to implement SSL
- we should have dedicated tutoring, date/time undecided
- added "server from scratch" series to our list of talks
- andy might give a talk on "Creating Packages for Linux" (might be debian-specific)
- danny might give a talk on "LaTeX"
- We decided not to give out emails with every new account. Only hand out to people who specifically request it.
- We shall work on setting up the PXE boot server on this Friday at 18:00
- We will add Linux Mint to our list of distros to install
- just get pizza for upcoming installfest
- organization signatories changed to Jacqueline, Troy, and Nathan
- about 10 new members
- new talks ideas:
- network security
- how to contribute to OSS
- decided to make an online survey for talks
- entertainment ideas for installfest:
- Torvalds profanity read by text-to-speech
- bad hacking scenes
- RMS quotes and talks
- "The Code"
- "revolution OS"
- first meeting of 2013 fall quarter
- introduced LUG to six potential new members
- discovered interest in the following upcoming events:
- core war
- vote for officers for 2013-2014 academic year.
- choose appropriate officer roles for next year.