Difference between revisions of "Meeting Notes"

From Wiki | LUG@UCLA
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(55 intermediate revisions by 20 users not shown)
Line 2: Line 2:
 
{{note|today is '''{{LOCALYEAR}}-{{LOCALMONTH}}-{{LOCALDAY2}}'''}}
 
{{note|today is '''{{LOCALYEAR}}-{{LOCALMONTH}}-{{LOCALDAY2}}'''}}
  
Meetings are held on Tuesdays at 18:00 in the [[Lounge]].
+
Meetings are typically held in the [[Lounge]].  See our [https://linux.ucla.edu/calendar/ calendar] for the next meeting.
  
=== 2014-01-14 (next) ===
+
=== 2015-02-17 ===
  
*
+
* Matt talks about puppet
 +
 
 +
=== 2015-02-10 ===
 +
 
 +
* Matt talks about vagrant
 +
 
 +
=== 2015-01-27 ===
 +
 
 +
* LaserJet 1606dn prints from hollywood terminal!
 +
* Mailing list policy
 +
** Corporate advertisements are generally fine, as long as they are not blatantly generic or spammy
 +
* Server migration
 +
** The current VMs will be distributed across three HP blades
 +
** The NFS server will go on the 2TB/3TB server
 +
* Upcoming events
 +
** Matt's talks (6th week Vagrant talk)
 +
** JPL infosession (near end of quarter)
 +
** Rip Crap Apart Day / Clean Crap Up Day (next quarter?)
 +
 
 +
=== 2015-01-14 ===
 +
 
 +
* decided to move this quarter's meetings to Tuesdays at 7:00 instead
 +
* reminded everyone about installfest
 +
* notified everyone about our future new banner [0]
 +
* discussed what talks Matt should give (vagrant, puppet)
 +
* discussed about recruiting new officers
 +
** David Yang is now an officer!
 +
* discussed mailing list policy
 +
** we should discuss almost all matters on members list, instead of officers list
 +
* discussed about lounge clean-up
 +
* discussed about server migrations
 +
** westwood really low on RAM, so we will distribute current services over two blades
 +
 
 +
[0]: https://linux.ucla.edu/git/?p=lug-banner.git
 +
 
 +
=== 2014-11-18 ===
 +
 
 +
* discussed upcoming Buildfest
 +
* discussed possibly hosting a JPLer to come over and give a talk
 +
** CS dept seems to not want tech talks from non-industry-affiliates though
 +
 
 +
=== 2014-10-14 ===
 +
 
 +
* discussed officer process
 +
** officers have root access to servers
 +
* project proposal
 +
** music player daemon
 +
*** controlled by a named pipe (volume, play/pause, etc)
 +
*** continuously plays music files read from a playlist
 +
* discussed what is a daemon
 +
* discussed cron
 +
 
 +
=== 2014-10-07 ===
 +
 
 +
* discussed about hosting a Facebook infosession
 +
* discussed about a potential Intro to Linux talk
 +
* meeting day/time
 +
* made LUG accounts for those who don't have one yet
 +
 
 +
=== 2014-10-01 ===
 +
 
 +
* first meeting for fall quarter!
 +
* overview of what the club does and how things work
 +
* announce installfest
 +
* announce that we have functional P4 towers to give away
 +
** we shoudl first help them install linux on it
 +
* quick overview of some rules
 +
 
 +
=== 2014-04-16 ===
 +
 
 +
* flying samaratans announcement
 +
* intro to distros and their philosophies
 +
* overview of alternative software on linux for people wanting to switch
 +
* overview of lug plans:
 +
**
 +
 
 +
=== 2014-02-25 ===
 +
 
 +
* next quarter maybe have an open source general hacking event
 +
* Matthew McKeen: gave a presentation on systemd/cgroups/LXC
 +
* Danny Nguyen gave a presentation on LaTeX
 +
* sergio mentioned a possible additional LUG project to help IPAM get some sort of web presence, but overall response was that LUG has too many things to mainain already.
 +
 
 +
=== 2014-01-28 ===
 +
 
 +
* agree on date for server maintenance day to do the following:
 +
** consolidate owncloud into the primary zone (maybe)
 +
** figure out why git isn't resolving
 +
** figure out why barcelona isn't booting correctly
 +
** figure out why losangeles isn't shutting off correctly
 +
** untangle the holy mess of cables
 +
 
 +
=== 2014-01-21 ===
 +
 
 +
* Troy gave a brief introduction to debian mirrors
 +
 
 +
=== 2014-01-14 ===
 +
 
 +
* installfest prep:
 +
** Matt volunteered to pick up the pizza
 +
** Sergio volunteered to pick up some groceries
 +
** Saurabh volunteered to help prepare BH 4760
  
 
=== 2014-01-07 ===
 
=== 2014-01-07 ===

Latest revision as of 10:45, 2 March 2015

Note Note: today is 2015-03-04

Meetings are typically held in the Lounge. See our calendar for the next meeting.

2015-02-17[edit]

  • Matt talks about puppet

2015-02-10[edit]

  • Matt talks about vagrant

2015-01-27[edit]

  • LaserJet 1606dn prints from hollywood terminal!
  • Mailing list policy
    • Corporate advertisements are generally fine, as long as they are not blatantly generic or spammy
  • Server migration
    • The current VMs will be distributed across three HP blades
    • The NFS server will go on the 2TB/3TB server
  • Upcoming events
    • Matt's talks (6th week Vagrant talk)
    • JPL infosession (near end of quarter)
    • Rip Crap Apart Day / Clean Crap Up Day (next quarter?)

2015-01-14[edit]

  • decided to move this quarter's meetings to Tuesdays at 7:00 instead
  • reminded everyone about installfest
  • notified everyone about our future new banner [0]
  • discussed what talks Matt should give (vagrant, puppet)
  • discussed about recruiting new officers
    • David Yang is now an officer!
  • discussed mailing list policy
    • we should discuss almost all matters on members list, instead of officers list
  • discussed about lounge clean-up
  • discussed about server migrations
    • westwood really low on RAM, so we will distribute current services over two blades

[0]: https://linux.ucla.edu/git/?p=lug-banner.git

2014-11-18[edit]

  • discussed upcoming Buildfest
  • discussed possibly hosting a JPLer to come over and give a talk
    • CS dept seems to not want tech talks from non-industry-affiliates though

2014-10-14[edit]

  • discussed officer process
    • officers have root access to servers
  • project proposal
    • music player daemon
      • controlled by a named pipe (volume, play/pause, etc)
      • continuously plays music files read from a playlist
  • discussed what is a daemon
  • discussed cron

2014-10-07[edit]

  • discussed about hosting a Facebook infosession
  • discussed about a potential Intro to Linux talk
  • meeting day/time
  • made LUG accounts for those who don't have one yet

2014-10-01[edit]

  • first meeting for fall quarter!
  • overview of what the club does and how things work
  • announce installfest
  • announce that we have functional P4 towers to give away
    • we shoudl first help them install linux on it
  • quick overview of some rules

2014-04-16[edit]

  • flying samaratans announcement
  • intro to distros and their philosophies
  • overview of alternative software on linux for people wanting to switch
  • overview of lug plans:

2014-02-25[edit]

  • next quarter maybe have an open source general hacking event
  • Matthew McKeen: gave a presentation on systemd/cgroups/LXC
  • Danny Nguyen gave a presentation on LaTeX
  • sergio mentioned a possible additional LUG project to help IPAM get some sort of web presence, but overall response was that LUG has too many things to mainain already.

2014-01-28[edit]

  • agree on date for server maintenance day to do the following:
    • consolidate owncloud into the primary zone (maybe)
    • figure out why git isn't resolving
    • figure out why barcelona isn't booting correctly
    • figure out why losangeles isn't shutting off correctly
    • untangle the holy mess of cables

2014-01-21[edit]

  • Troy gave a brief introduction to debian mirrors

2014-01-14[edit]

  • installfest prep:
    • Matt volunteered to pick up the pizza
    • Sergio volunteered to pick up some groceries
    • Saurabh volunteered to help prepare BH 4760

2014-01-07[edit]

  • start delegating tasks to people
    • get UPS - Nathan
    • get Buildfest equipment - nobody
    • design welcome sign - nobody
  • had discussion about OpenStreetMap

2013-11-26[edit]

  • decided to keep our IRC channel on irc.gimp.net instead of moving it to freenode
  • we should design a welcome sign for the lounge
  • we should design a t-shirt design for winter quarter
  • planning has begun for the mail migration

2013-11-19[edit]

2013-11-12[edit]

  • is Big Brother Tux too invasive? apparently no.
  • review LUG master plan to move away from Google services:
    • Calendar: set up a WebDAV server, vcards editable from e.g. thunderbird
  • jacqueline assigned to the task of buying the UPS and putting up some of our junk on craigslist
  • weekly tutoring has been pushed back to next quarter. Instead, we might have a CS3{1,2,3} tutoring session before finals.
  • self-organized talks statuses and ETAs:
    • LaTeX by Danny might happen this quarter
    • Creating Packages for Linux by Andy might happen next quarter
    • Privacy on the Internet by Troy Sankey might happen next quarter

2013-11-05[edit]

  • Dr. Scott Friedman, chief technologist for UCLA's Institute for Digital Research and Education (IDRE), will talk about some opportunities for getting involved in current projects and upcoming super computing competitions. announcement on the uclalug-members mailing list

2013-10-29[edit]

  • what do we want to hear eggert talk about?
    • History and involvement with the GNU project
  • decide date/time for tutoring
    • proposed friday from 13:00 to 15:00 (early afternoon preferred)
  • structure our "server from scratch" series
    • part 1: server hardware
    • part 2: basic server configurations
    • part 3: deploying services and databases
  • gave away one of our p4 desktops to somebody that was interested in using it as a personal server
  • realization that we actually really need to implement SSL

2013-10-22[edit]

  • we should have dedicated tutoring, date/time undecided
  • added "server from scratch" series to our list of talks
  • andy might give a talk on "Creating Packages for Linux" (might be debian-specific)
  • danny might give a talk on "LaTeX"

2013-10-08[edit]

  • We decided not to give out emails with every new account. Only hand out to people who specifically request it.
  • We shall work on setting up the PXE boot server on this Friday at 18:00
  • We will add Linux Mint to our list of distros to install
  • just get pizza for upcoming installfest
  • organization signatories changed to Jacqueline, Troy, and Nathan

2013-10-01[edit]

  • about 10 new members
  • new talks ideas:
    • network security
    • how to contribute to OSS
  • decided to make an online survey for talks
  • entertainment ideas for installfest:
    • Torvalds profanity read by text-to-speech
    • bad hacking scenes
    • RMS quotes and talks
    • "The Code"
    • "revolution OS"

2013-09-24[edit]

  • first meeting of 2013 fall quarter
  • introduced LUG to six potential new members
  • discovered interest in the following upcoming events:
    • buildfest
    • core war

2013-05-22[edit]

  • vote for officers for 2013-2014 academic year.

2013-04-24[edit]

  • choose appropriate officer roles for next year.