Meeting Notes

From Wiki | LUG@UCLA
Jump to: navigation, search

Note Note: today is 2017-09-20

Meetings are typically held in the Lounge. See our calendar for the next meeting.


  • Upcoming events
    • Installfest (this Saturday)
    • Buildfest (late winter)
    • Capture of the flag (late spring)
  • To buy
    • Printer paper
  • Upcoming talks
    • Jekyll by David (Week 3/4)
    • HTTP 2.0 by Michael (Week 5)
    • systemd Timers by James (Week 7)
    • NLP by Jae (Week 8)
    • (unscheduled) Async web servers by Colin
    • (unscheduled) Lambda calculus by Vlad


  • Talks (Bitcoin)
  • Sold Core 2 Duo and VGA monitor
  • Discuss Thursday administrative session (do shit day)
  • Migrate servers this Saturday (or next?)
  • Retreats :)
  • T-shirt notes
    • size distribution
    • vendor
    • coloring


  • Decided on debian 8 for VMs
  • Wednesday administrative session
  • Upcoming keysigning party
  • Discuss yard giveaway?
  • Talk next week


  • Elections!


  • Talks (WEP and RC4)
  • SSL certificate renewal
    • Send CSR to CS dept
    • Assigned task to David{Y,N}
  • Bitcoin status
    • Need to talk to UCU
  • Elections status
    • Assigned cookie-buying to Vincent
  • Purchasing list
    • Markers, Mini Displayport adapter, air cans, isopropyl alchohol


  • installfest
    • new purchaser from cs dept
    • use club funds to buy misc food (soda, muffins), then get check reimbursed to UCU account
      • direct deposit?
    • order from lamonica by phone, get it delivered
  • bitcoins
    • use $42 for bitcoins, convert some to lite/dogecoins at will
    • Davidin has until next monday to try out the culver city machine, otherwise use coinbase
  • lounge clean-up on friday
  • scheduled more Talks
  • LAN party
    • davidin will plan it
    • hedgewars
  • future retention
    • give new people workshops and tutorials on cool infrastructure-related stuff
      • blogging: drupal, jekyll
      • webserver: nginx, flask
      • misc: owncloud (storage), deluge (torrent), class monitor, SOCKS proxy, vpn
    • emphasize
      • why learning about OS, networks when you're a dev?
      • why care about infrastructure?
    • LUG should actually show up in many events / make their presence known
  • sponsorship
    • get Linode or DigitalOcean on board
    • cite SFS event turn-out
  • elections
    • Tuesday of Week 5
    • need to announce by at least week 3
    • make it fun (ice cream? some other food?)
  • server distro upgrades
    • Ubuntu 16.04 LTS coming out soon, but wait at least a few weeks for immediate bugs to get fixed
    • we should do a fresh reinstall for relevant servers
      • swap out using new disks, don't overwrite
    • ideally, since we care about education and not reliability, we should refresh our infra every 2 years so members know how everything works
  • keysigning party
    • tentatively, saturday of week 5


  • Discuss Buildfest
  • Attempt to dry run a build
    • Realized existing cases are terrible
    • Fried New Jersey


  • Advertising budget
    • Stickers
    • Posters
  • T-shirts
    • Ideas?


  • Installfest prep
  • Events
    • Server from scratch and Buildfest this quarter
    • Collab w/ ACM?
    • Keysigning party probably next quarter
    • start a thread to organize trip
  • Talk topics
    • David suggests: Keepass, password security, entropy
    • Shaun suggests: Weekly digest meeting about recent tech trends
  • SICP book club
    • they will probably use LUG lounge on Saturday evenings
  • O'Reilly sponsorship?
  • Projects that can be done w/ raspberry pis or arduinos
    • Fix coffee machine
    • Microphone recording of last 5 seconds of conversation
    • Automatic light switch controller


  • Some more planning for FB PE talk
    • Move to Moore 100
    • Should LUG even host events for companies?
  • Planning the Intro to Linux talk
  • Talks (DAC and ADC)


  • Talks (Configuration Management Software and Puppet)


  • Renewed OrgSync signatories
  • LUG Facebook group
  • Planned the Facebook Production Engineering talk
  • Talks (DNS and bind9)


  • Introduced new members to account services
  • Went over list of possible projects


  • Keysigning party this Saturday
    • Pick up pizza instead of deliver
  • Talk: security
    • Password hashing algorithms
    • Rainbow tables and salt
    • RSA algorithm
    • Diffie-Hellman algorithm


  • Election this Thursday
  • Keysigning party next Saturday
  • Talk: security
    • General server security
    • Webserver security (PHP, wordpress)
    • sshd security (different port, noroot, key auth)
    • Three factors of authentication


  • Talk: security
    • PGP, encryption, signing
    • Port scanning


  • Decorations and media
  • Kanye's iPhone
  • Plan for keysigning party


  • Installfest
    • Advertising
    • USBs
  • Bruin Day and Engineering Day
  • Distributing tasks [0]
  • Elections



  • Matt talks about puppet


  • Matt talks about vagrant


  • LaserJet 1606dn prints from hollywood terminal!
  • Mailing list policy
    • Corporate advertisements are generally fine, as long as they are not blatantly generic or spammy
  • Server migration
    • The current VMs will be distributed across three HP blades
    • The NFS server will go on the 2TB/3TB server
  • Upcoming events
    • Matt's talks (6th week Vagrant talk)
    • JPL infosession (near end of quarter)
    • Rip Crap Apart Day / Clean Crap Up Day (next quarter?)


  • decided to move this quarter's meetings to Tuesdays at 7:00 instead
  • reminded everyone about installfest
  • notified everyone about our future new banner [0]
  • discussed what talks Matt should give (vagrant, puppet)
  • discussed about recruiting new officers
    • David Yang is now an officer!
  • discussed mailing list policy
    • we should discuss almost all matters on members list, instead of officers list
  • discussed about lounge clean-up
  • discussed about server migrations
    • westwood really low on RAM, so we will distribute current services over two blades



  • discussed upcoming Buildfest
  • discussed possibly hosting a JPLer to come over and give a talk
    • CS dept seems to not want tech talks from non-industry-affiliates though


  • discussed officer process
    • officers have root access to servers
  • project proposal
    • music player daemon
      • controlled by a named pipe (volume, play/pause, etc)
      • continuously plays music files read from a playlist
  • discussed what is a daemon
  • discussed cron


  • discussed about hosting a Facebook infosession
  • discussed about a potential Intro to Linux talk
  • meeting day/time
  • made LUG accounts for those who don't have one yet


  • first meeting for fall quarter!
  • overview of what the club does and how things work
  • announce installfest
  • announce that we have functional P4 towers to give away
    • we shoudl first help them install linux on it
  • quick overview of some rules


  • flying samaratans announcement
  • intro to distros and their philosophies
  • overview of alternative software on linux for people wanting to switch
  • overview of lug plans:


  • next quarter maybe have an open source general hacking event
  • Matthew McKeen: gave a presentation on systemd/cgroups/LXC
  • Danny Nguyen gave a presentation on LaTeX
  • sergio mentioned a possible additional LUG project to help IPAM get some sort of web presence, but overall response was that LUG has too many things to mainain already.


  • agree on date for server maintenance day to do the following:
    • consolidate owncloud into the primary zone (maybe)
    • figure out why git isn't resolving
    • figure out why barcelona isn't booting correctly
    • figure out why losangeles isn't shutting off correctly
    • untangle the holy mess of cables


  • Troy gave a brief introduction to debian mirrors


  • installfest prep:
    • Matt volunteered to pick up the pizza
    • Sergio volunteered to pick up some groceries
    • Saurabh volunteered to help prepare BH 4760


  • start delegating tasks to people
    • get UPS - Nathan
    • get Buildfest equipment - nobody
    • design welcome sign - nobody
  • had discussion about OpenStreetMap


  • decided to keep our IRC channel on instead of moving it to freenode
  • we should design a welcome sign for the lounge
  • we should design a t-shirt design for winter quarter
  • planning has begun for the mail migration



  • is Big Brother Tux too invasive? apparently no.
  • review LUG master plan to move away from Google services:
    • Calendar: set up a WebDAV server, vcards editable from e.g. thunderbird
  • jacqueline assigned to the task of buying the UPS and putting up some of our junk on craigslist
  • weekly tutoring has been pushed back to next quarter. Instead, we might have a CS3{1,2,3} tutoring session before finals.
  • self-organized talks statuses and ETAs:
    • LaTeX by Danny might happen this quarter
    • Creating Packages for Linux by Andy might happen next quarter
    • Privacy on the Internet by Troy Sankey might happen next quarter


  • Dr. Scott Friedman, chief technologist for UCLA's Institute for Digital Research and Education (IDRE), will talk about some opportunities for getting involved in current projects and upcoming super computing competitions. announcement on the uclalug-members mailing list


  • what do we want to hear eggert talk about?
    • History and involvement with the GNU project
  • decide date/time for tutoring
    • proposed friday from 13:00 to 15:00 (early afternoon preferred)
  • structure our "server from scratch" series
    • part 1: server hardware
    • part 2: basic server configurations
    • part 3: deploying services and databases
  • gave away one of our p4 desktops to somebody that was interested in using it as a personal server
  • realization that we actually really need to implement SSL


  • we should have dedicated tutoring, date/time undecided
  • added "server from scratch" series to our list of talks
  • andy might give a talk on "Creating Packages for Linux" (might be debian-specific)
  • danny might give a talk on "LaTeX"


  • We decided not to give out emails with every new account. Only hand out to people who specifically request it.
  • We shall work on setting up the PXE boot server on this Friday at 18:00
  • We will add Linux Mint to our list of distros to install
  • just get pizza for upcoming installfest
  • organization signatories changed to Jacqueline, Troy, and Nathan


  • about 10 new members
  • new talks ideas:
    • network security
    • how to contribute to OSS
  • decided to make an online survey for talks
  • entertainment ideas for installfest:
    • Torvalds profanity read by text-to-speech
    • bad hacking scenes
    • RMS quotes and talks
    • "The Code"
    • "revolution OS"


  • first meeting of 2013 fall quarter
  • introduced LUG to six potential new members
  • discovered interest in the following upcoming events:
    • buildfest
    • core war


  • vote for officers for 2013-2014 academic year.


  • choose appropriate officer roles for next year.