Computers fail, people make mistakes, environmental disasters happen. We recommend you take the steps necessary to back up your important data, as it is a small price to pay compared to total data loss.
tar + gzip (+ gpg)
duplicity, or it's user-friendly font-ends deja-dup and duply, combines rsync, gzip, gpg, and a hybrid style backup for the ultimate backup solution.
- Gzip - compression utility
- tar - file archiver
- GnuPG - encryption utility
- Rsync - remote directory synchronizer
- luckyBackup - GUI for Rsync (uses Rsync)
- rdiff - like diff, but designed better for binary files rather than source code
- rdiff-backup - remote incremental directory synchronizer (uses Rsync and rdiff)
- duplicity - remote versioned encrypted backup (uses tar, GnuPG, Rsync, and rdiff)
- Déjà Dup - GUI for duplicity (uses duplicity)
- rsnapshot - remote versioned backup (uses Rsync and UNIX hard links)